Friday, September 30, 2005

Let's try this again...

Yes, it's been over 7 months since my last post. No, I haven't taken any of the tests yet. Things have been very busy at work and it just fell off my radar screen. It's back on in a big way now. My company is trying to keep our Microsoft Gold Partnership and we need 2 MCADs on staff. We have a small group of developers who work on facilities management software for clients and I am not part of their group. I work for the internal IT department. But we are helping them out with the process (I am preparing their software for Veritest, which is not a fun thing to do). They are sending 2 developers for one of those 7 day bootcamps where they teach the test and have you take it immediately so you don't forget anything. I volunteered privately to my boss that I would also attempt to get my MCAD by the end of the year as a backup.

I bought Transcender's self test software (well, my company did) and it is really nice. I had tried the software that came w/ the MSFT Press book and hated it, so I had a low opinion of self test software. But Transcender is very nice. I got the entire MCSD package with Flash Cards. I ran through each of the 3 MCAD tests (ASP.NET, SQL and XML Web Services) and did the best on SQL. So I chose that as my first test. I bought Que's Exam Cram book for Exam 70-229 (ISBN: 0789731061).

Since I tend to procrastinate, I thought the best idea would be to schedule the test as a deadline. Otherwise, I would just study and never feel "ready". So I scheduled it for October 14 at 9:00 am. Wow, that's close.

My new schedule will be taking the SQL test in October, then the ASP.NET test 4 weeks later, then the Web Services (which I need to study the most) 6 weeks later. That will make me finish right before I go on vacation.

I'll try to post my progress.

No comments: